Wednesday, November 11, 2009

H1N1 and my little boy



On Monday was Zander's 6 month well child exam. I knew he would be getting his usual round of vaccines, which he typical has no problem with. I was curious about the H1N1 vaccine because he is in daycare at my work and he is exposed to so much crap. The doctor told me it was totally safe (being that it is thermerasol free) and that he would definitely recommend it for Zander given his above situation 3 days a week. We decided to do it while we were there even though I felt a little apprehensive.
We went home and he was acting like his typical self, slept more but other than that did not seem bothered. We spent our day like usually, eat, sleep, play, and poop. I put him to bed around 7:30 and thought we were in the clear. Then around 8pm he woke up screaming, his little cheeks were bright red and his entire body was so hot. I checked his temperature and it was 101.6. I called the consulting nurse and she told me to give him Tylenol. I went to bed with him because I just wanted to cuddle and hold my little baby. I was so worried about him. I kept thinking "OH my gosh, this is all my fault." Around midnight I felt his fever break, I was so happy. The next morning he woke up with a slight fever around which steadily climb to 101.6 again, I gave him another dose, broke his fever and he has been happy ever since.
It scared me so bad. I was worried that my decision to have him vaccinated hurt him more than helped him.
This morning he is happy and fever free. Thank goodness!

5 comments:

  1. Sad! Nothing is worse than a sick kid- I always feel so helpless when my kids are sick. Glad to hear he is feeling better. I had been wanting to get Apollo vaccinated (before we all caught swine flu), but I am always apprehensive about how he may react to certain vaccines. His MMR vaccine made him feverish and cranky for a day, but that was the only one he reacted poorly to. At least Zander is vaccinated and can't get swine flu now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, he looks so much like Tyler in that second picture! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Poor little guy. Bella had a high temperature with her 12 month shots that lasted nearly two days. I hated it. She was so miserable.

    The H1N1 thing is so scary. I don't know what we'd do if we were there. I'm glad our little guy is feeling better. I bet you feel a little more relaxed knowing he's safe from Swine Flu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad he is all better. I hated taking Jacob and Ashlynn to the doctor when they were healthy so that they could get a vaccination. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see Zander is better, with your love and care. His recuperative powers are strong and he will recover faster than you may, emotionally. He is now protected from a serious virus. Tammy, you are a wonderful mother. I wish you and Tyler a good night's rest and a flu free season.
    Love,
    Mom & Grant

    ReplyDelete